Ticket Dismissal Class
Frequently Asked Questions:
You may be eligible to have your ticket dismissed upon successful completion of a driving safety course. You must respond on or before the appearance date of your ticket to be eligible for this option.
How often can I take a Defensive Driving class for ticket dismissal?
Once every 12 months, always check with your Court.
Do I get permission from the court of jurisdiction before I report to my defensive driving class?
Yes, you have to get permission from the court to complete the course. The Traffic ticket will be dismissed only if you take the course and present proof of a State Approved Certificate of completion to the Court.
How does the Point system work?
POINTS FOR CERTAIN TRAFFIC CONVICTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
• two points for a moving violation of ‘Texas traffic laws; and three points for a moving violation that caused a traffic collision.
• If you accumulate six points or more during a three-year period, you’ll receive a bill from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
• $100.00 surcharge for the first six points
• $25.00 surcharge for each additional point
• Points remain on your record for three years.
Where do I go to Get a copy of my DRIVING RECORD?
You can process your driving record yourself by ordering the record online directly from DPS at www.texas.gov
What would make me not eligible for a Driving Safety Class?
• You have taken a Court ordered DSC for another ticket within one year from date of this ticket.
• You were charged with 95 miles per hour or more
• Speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit
• Passing a school bus
• Failing to stop and provide information or render aid after an accident
• Committing an offense in a construction zone when a worker was present
• You do not have a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Check DPS website for more information on this subject.
Do I have to have a reservation for the Defensive Driving Class?
No, walk ins are welcome.
Can I get my Certificate the same day as I complete my Defensive Driving Class?
No, your driving safety course completion certificate will be mailed to you by the course provider. Not the instructor of your class. Instructor can only issues INSURANCE ONLY CERTIFICATE. By state law, a course provider has up to 15 working days/21 days total after you successfully complete all requirements of the course. You need to take the course well ahead of the deadline imposed by the court. If you are close to the court’s deadline, you may need to pay extra to the course provider for delivery of your certificate via overnight delivery.
What do I need to bring to the Defensive Driving Class?
Bring a pen, pencil and paper.
Method of payment?
Check or cash, no credit cards.